Medicruit has outlined the initial process to be legally entitled to work in the UK as a Dentist.

  1. Register with the General Dental Council (GDC) which is the governing body in the UK for Dentistry. You can find their website at You will receive a GDC Number which will register you as a Dental Professional in the United Kingdom.
  2. Dependant on where you qualified , you may have to do the mandatory GDC Overseas Registration Exam. Formerly known as the IQE. You are exempt from this exam if you obtained a recognised qualification from within the European Economic Area. (EEA)
  3. All overseas dentists , EEA Qualified or otherwise must complete an English Language Test. More information can be found at ielts or ubelts
  4. Obtain your Indemnity Insurance. You can get this at the Dental Defence Union or through Dental Protection.
  5. Dependant on your level of experience in your own country or where you qualified, you may also have to meet additional clinical standards by  completing your     Vocational Training (VT) to work within an NHS Dental Practice in the UK. You will be mentored by a VT Trainer in preparation to work within the NHS. It normally takes 6-12 months to gain VT Equivalence.
  6. Once you have all of the above in place you can now consider whether you wish to work within an NHS Practice or within a Private Practice. All EU Dentists can work within a private practice once they have their GDC & Indemnity Insurance.  All Non-EU Dentists MUST have their GDC, Indemnity AND have completed their ORE.
  7. Any Dentist, UK qualified or otherwise who wishes to work within an NHS Practice must obtain a Performer Number from the Local Primary Care Trust (PCT). The PCT will require you to show your Indemnity Insurance, GDC Certificate & English Language Test Results. Every PCT is different and will vary in terms of the documentation they ask from you. Once you have completed your application they will apply for a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check. Also they will often request refernces from University or previous employers. Once you receive your Performer Number, which may take 3 months, you can now work within a UK NHS Practice.
  8. Dependant on your UK Residency status you may also have to contact the UK Home Office to secure a work permit.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
This entry was posted on Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009 at 5:51 pm.
Categories: UK Regulations.

No Comments, Comment or Ping

Reply to “Legal Requirements to work in UK as a Dentist”

| © 2009 - 2011 Medicruit | All Rights Reserved | 'Medicruit' is a Registered Trademark of Medi-cruit Ltd. | Registered Company Number: 4206939 |
| MediEstates Ltd | Registered Company Number: 5788062 | Registered Office: Pacific House, Stanier Way, Derby, DE21 6BF. UK |
V.A.T. Registration Number: 755 6032 30